Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Nelly.

No, the other one.

Furtado.

The one that sounds like some weird taco from Le Taco Belle. Or some very wrong reference to an unkempt female body part.

Anyway there's something to her sound that appeals to me, and I can't put my finger on it. The lyrics are decent, but I don't think that's the element I'm drawn to.

I'm reminded of - - erm, that band. You know, with the members.

Dammit.

The lead singer sounds like Stevie Wonder. Um. Um...

Maroon5! (They didn't get popular till they stole Stevie's sound.)

I think that Maroon5 and Nelly Furtado might be the same kind of thing, where it's a stylized vocal style that grabs you, more than any inherent stand-apart quality of the music or lyrics.

I'm not saying that Nelly Furtado and Maroon5 aren't very talented, they are. I'm just trying to understand the how's and why's of their appeal for me personally.

What do you think?

Litany Webb, signing off

Jump to Start..........TPoL..........Previous Post..........Next Post

2 Comments:

At 10:53 PM , Blogger shana p. said...

hmmmm.... I like Nelly Furtado (and the other one..) but I hate Maroon 5, will have to ponder this....

 
At 4:48 AM , Blogger Heather said...

Nelly my Canadian chicka!!

Don't know Maroon5. If they are Canadian then you have found the connection..

and the other Nellie...NOT

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home