Monday, July 25, 2005

And Wear Something Professional Next Time...

I just got back from my interview with the marketing company. I ended up wearing the grey slacks, but I'd bought a new black top at Robinson's May, very crisp and professional. I'll probably be doing lots of interviewing, so a new top is a good idea.

I got to the place about twenty minutes early (Dad had loaned me his car) and waited a bit in the parking lot - I didn't want to walk in ridiculously early for the interview. No more than 10 minutes early is my rule.

So I go in, and the waiting room has a good forty people in it. Ugh, this is supposed to be for an office job, not a sitcom casting call. I signed in, took a clipboard, and began filling out a thirty page questionaire. I'm not kidding. This thing was long. The consensus in my neighborhood of the waiting room was that we were being used as a free focus group. Nice.

The questionaire took a good hour. At least half of the questions required essay paragraphs as answers, the other half were multiple choice. And of course you want to make the best possible impression at a job interview, so I answered the questions as completely as possible.

The interview itself was mostly this very short man (I'm not trying to be picky, this guy was like 4.5 feet tall) in a very sharp suit (he reminded me of those overdressed little kids you see at a wedding or funeral) going over my answers on the questionaire, asking me why I answered certain ways, and making notes.

In the end he told me I was a great candidate, and that he wanted me back for a second interview, where I would sign an NDA and get to see what a day on-the-job would be like.

And this is a quote. "Oh, and you're dressed nicely today, but for tomorrow, I want you to dress even better. Really professional."

(The outfit I was wearing cost $150, not counting shoes.)

Um, Ok...

The only thing more professional than what I was wearing would be a suit. So I guess I'll have to go shopping again today, if I decide to go to the second interview. It's not like people are knocking my door down with offers, so why not go?

Litany Webb, signing off

Jump to Start..........TPoL..........Previous Post..........Next Post

5 Comments:

At 1:23 PM , Blogger Heather said...

You should go to the second interview naked and then claim "Well you wanted me to look professional...you didnt tell me which profession!!"

Best of luck and knock em dead!

~H

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger kthrne said...

It would be intriguing to know what they are after. The whole thing seems so suspicious, it calls for some investigative journalism.

Be careful and good luck!

 
At 2:08 PM , Blogger shana p. said...

shit, if you sign an NDA, does that mean you can't tell us what it is?

 
At 6:25 PM , Blogger Robin said...

I went through something exactly like you're describing about a year ago. I did a day-on-the-job thing, too. It did end up leading to a job offer, but the pay was crap and the hours were long so I didn't take it.

And it was sales.

 
At 11:14 PM , Blogger Paulius said...

I once spent a year in a selection process for a job, and when I finally got it, it turned out it paid 11,600GBP a year.

Oh, I was also told that 'I may want to shave', for the next interview...I didn't have stubble, I had an actual goatee.

I didn't appreciate being lectured on appearance by a woman wearing a threadbare, bright orange pullover.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home